Brad, Lisa, Makenna and Tanner

Friday, January 9, 2015

Residency

We have officially finished the first half of the first year of Residency. I wish I could say, wow, that went by fast, but to be honest it has been an adjustment for our family.  I'm glad to say that we are still happy and have a very blessed life, we are just getting accustomed to new stresses and situations.  I know that others out there have it worse off than we do and I don't write this to compare. Normally this is something I would post on my private blog that I journal on but I felt that some of you can relate, so I thought I would share. I just want to write down a few tidbits about some my feelings at this point in our journey.
_________________________________________________________________________________
First off, Brad just got his scores back for his step 3 exam and he crushed it! Seriously did so good and I'm so proud of him! It has been really impressive for me when I hear Brad  switch to Dr. mode, because it is amazing how much he is learning and already knows! Brad, you should be proud of yourself!
_________________________________________________________________________________

The Hospital where Brad works is across the street from the Scottsdale Library that we go to quite frequently. Every time we drive by, Makenna recognizes the building and asks, " Is that where Daddy lives?"
It makes me laugh and I have to tell her, "No daddy lives at our house, he works there".
I'm sure on the weeks when he works well over 90 hours he probably feels like he lives there!
_________________________________________________________________________________

I was recently asked two questions by another residence's wife and both kind of threw me off guard for some reason and I couldn't just give a quick answer right away.
1. "So has residency life become the new normal yet?"
I think I just stumbled out something like, "UM i guess so".
These are my thoughts after being able to think about the question. I think it is taking me a long time to come to grips with this new schedule and how it has changed the demands on both me and Brad. It has been stressful at times and I think I have a little meltdown on all his busy rotations, Ha Ha.  I'm just trying to paint a honest picture here. I think I'm getting there though, slowly accepting that this is our new normal.

2. She asked this in a very excited voice? "So what has been your favorite rotation so?"
I think I almost laughed and thought she was joking when she asked this. Brad has had mostly rotations with long and busy hours, hardly anything light rotations in these first six months. I can laugh now thinking back at the conversation but at the time. I was just thinking that none of them had been my "favorite".
_________________________________________________________________________________

I don't say any of this to try to be super negative, I'm just trying to document different aspects of my life right now. I'm grateful for all that I have and I know that this won't last forever.


2 comments:

Tonya's Territory said...

Hey Lisa!
I appreciate hearing how things are going. I like the truth. I have a feeling you are still sugar coating it a bit here, though! I can't imagine what your world must look like. Kinda like a single mom sometimes, I bet. I'm not as close anymore, but if there is ever something I can do I'd love to. I miss being your visiting teacher and getting to check in with you. I hope residency goes well for you guys. You are amazing. Eden asked about Makenna the other day. It was totally random but we were thinking of you. Take care, Tonya 😊

Sarah said...

Glad you shared. Residency is tough. Good thing you're made of tough stuff....hang in there. :)